Saturday, June 14, 2008

I Think I’m in Love With Fornication…….That’s “Californication”



Anyone who really knows me understands how thoroughly unimpressed I am with television programming. The only time that I will voluntarily watch TV is to catch an NBA game, “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” or CNN’s “Election Center” (Obama lapping Clinton to become the Democratic presidential nominee was the real Amazing Race). But since “Chappell’s Show” ended prematurely in 2006, and “The Wire” took its final bow in March (big props to Season 4, one of the best seasons in television history), TV watching has turned into an unpleasant task. I’ve attempted to latch on to the “hit” shows such “24,” “Ugly Betty” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “24,” “CSI:Miami,” and the never-ending “Lost,” but I immediately lost interest because most of the storylines seemed contrived, superficial, predictable, and just plain cheesy.
Well a few weeks ago, while flipping through the channels I stumbled upon a TV show that centers on a self-admiring/highly obnoxious author who drowns himself in women and booze in order to numb himself to the pain of seeing his ex-girlfriend marry a presumable dork. While the premise of the show is far from groundbreaking, I like the fact that it’s a tragic comedy that shuns perfection at a pace that seems very true to life. I’m currently playing catch up on Season 1 (On Demand is a beast!), and anticipating the start of season 2 this summer. Am I missing out on something or is “Californication” really the best show on TV?

No comments: