Thursday, November 27, 2008

Allen Iverson: The Epitome of Unthankfulness


Allen Iverson just doesn’t get it. And at the age of 33, it’s a good chance that he never will. One day after Iverson and the Detroit Pistons defeated the New York Knicks, Pistons’ coach Michael Curry called a one hour team practice on Thanksgiving morning.
Iverson failed to call the team or show up for the practice.
It is true that most NBA teams give their players Thanksgiving off unless a game is scheduled. But coach Curry felt that the Pistons needed more work to build team chemistry. Apparently, A.I. didn’t. He chose to show how ungrateful he is on a day when most of the nation has given thanks for their blessings.
With a salary that pays him over 20 million dollars, Iverson has received more than enough blessings. He gets paid a lot of money to do what he loves and only has to work 9 months out of the year. So one hour of basketball practice should not be seen as a chore.
There are millions of people who had to work on Thanksgiving. I’m sure that there are a few who had to wake up at the crack of dawn and catch the bus in the cold in order to work a 12-hour shift. And there are also people who would DO ALMOST ANYTHING for the opportunity to work on Thanksgiving. This week, I covered turkey drives done by Polow Da Don and Akon. I spoke to one single-mother who had just received a turkey and can goods from Akon. She and her daughter were well-dressed and didn’t have the appearance of a family that was experiencing economic hardship. But she told me that she hadn’t worked since June and was struggling to take care of herself and daughter.
So when I hear that Allen Iverson doesn’t want to throw a ball in a basket for 60 minutes on Thanksgiving, I can’t have any sympathy or respect for him. I don’t want to say “what’s up” or even shake his hand. He’s less than a man on this day. Be thankful if you are working. Be thankful that you are getting paid. Be thankful if you have the opportunity to do what you love to do. There are so many people who are struggling on this day and who will struggle tomorrow. It’s too bad that superior talent can’t make up for selfishness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allen Iverson overall is a very insecure and unhappy person. You only have to be around him for a few minutes to see that. He's shitty to everyone. Even his closest friends. He talks down to people in a very demeaning and embarrassing way. I know Michael Jordan very well and he has never, not one time that I've been around him disrespect his entourage of almost 20-30 people. That man just has class.

Allen is wrestling with some demons I'm not sure anyone will ever know what they are but the times that I've been around him, he's a straight dick. He was nice to me, very much a gentleman until he realized I wasn't in awe of him, then he turned cold. That's just his style. Just a pure asshole unfortunately and I don't think anything is going to change him now.

You said it right.
LD